Thursday, January 6, 2011

My fatal flaw.

Heh, as if I only have one. :)

I'm usually different around people than when it's just me or the hubby and I at home. There. I said it. It's like I have multiple personalities or something.

I've been thinking about this for awhile now, ever since an older worker came up to me at Marion last year and asked me if I was a happy person. I'm sure my puzzled look forced him to clarify. He said he took notice the first few days of convention that I was always smiling, laughing, and having a great time chatting between meetings. I think my exact words were, I guess! Plus, I love convention, so it's easy to be super happy there. :)

I grew up in a household where personalities were discussed quite a bit (thanks, Mom and Dad! :D), so I've been aware of different personalities for quite awhile... which drives Hubby nuts! Anyway, I guess I strive to come across to people as relaxed, laid-back, chatty, amiable, and super-friendly. Whatever goes..

Someone mentioned they were studying personality types a while back, so I asked them to analyze me. They had a name for it which I don't remember... but essentially, they thought I was the laid-back, have fun, social type. I believe I laughed in their face. Sorry, if you're reading this... and you recognize yourself. ;)

However, I see myself as detail-driven, slightly withdrawn, and not super-social. A perfectionist in some areas, and a realist in most things. I do enjoy being around people, but I definitely need my alone times. Thankfully, Hubby is more than welcome in my alone time. haha. In my own element, I'm fairly set in my ways, hate change or last-minute decisions, and am quite stubborn.

They say opposites attract, which turned out exactly true in my case. I intensely admire Hubby because he is the exact same around every single person.

I don't know how to do that.

On one hand, people might see this as "putting on a show" or being deceptive.

However, I guess that's how I am... and I look at it as a benefit in some ways. Admit it, no one likes being around those personality types like I actually am. That's why people like Hubby are the center of the party.

It's a huge plus for talking and chatting with clients.. and honestly, being with people draws me out of my little funk for awhile. I do love people, really. But when I hang up the phone or leave a consultation, I revert "back to myself."

It's great for this showing the duplex/rental process. I can be genuinely sweet, honest, and nice when they come to look at the plexer. Then when they leave, I can sit down, analyze things, and come to a realistic conclusion (obviously with Hubby).

It's also pretty nice for having company over... especially for workers. :) Honestly, it's such a joy to have people over, and I'm pretty relaxed about people in our home.

But get me out of my routine too long, and relaxed, care-free Mariah disappears pretty quickly.



Do I have a conclusion? Not really.

Just know that I'm not being fake, honestly. When I'm happy to see you, it's the real deal.


And, aren't I lucky to have Hubby?! :) Last-minute decisions? Spontaneous? Happy? Carefree (mostly)? Of course. He really is the ying to my yang. :)

3 comments:

Elissa & Logan said...

Ha, I hear ya! You just explained me to a "T", too! Logan says "you're such a people person!!" Really? Cause i hate being social!
I would love to be social with you, however! Can't wait to see ya! :)

Sarah said...

Totally understand what you mean. I feel when I go to work I can talk cause it is business related, but I can't get myself to be social even when inside i want/need to with friends.

Mariah said...

@Elissa.. I can't wait to be social with you either! We can be non-social in each other's company, if that's easier for you. :)

@Sarah.. definitely know how the want/need yet can't thing goes too.

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician, I do not have any type of medical training, and my workouts and training are only intended for my personal recollection and your curiosity. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience. All images are subject to a personal copyright unless otherwise noted and cannot be used without permission. If you read to the end of this, congratulations.