Saturday, April 7, 2012

Deadlifts, Dog Food, and more!


A few days ago, I created a "bring it" playlist on my phone.

It's pretty powerful stuff. Gives me my gym swagger. Perfect for breaking my past PR of 195-lbs for deadlifting.

Deadlifts. Ahhh. My holy grail. :)

If you've been following along lately, you'll remember that I've had a mental block with getting past 195-lbs. I knew the strength was there, but couldn't get past the wall. Or something.

Anyway, I could feel it. Today was the day to break that.

Not only did I pull up 200-pounds, I completed a full set of 5 at 200!

Then, I added a bit more weight, and on the second attempt, pulled up 205.

Aaaand, then I got so excited, I set the bar down to do a happy dance. I figured completing one full deadlift at 205-lbs was victory enough.

I'm pretty sure I shouted in glee, but it could have just been a satisfied grunt. Hard to tell with my awesome "bring it" music pounding in my ears.

In case you were wondering, this is what one side of 205 looks like.


I also worked on some single-arm kettlebell snatches, which are always fun. Then, I completed an intense WOD that completely sucked out my will to live. The good ones usually do. :)




-------------------------------------------------------------------


For lunch today, the hubbs and I fought the crowds at HuHot, where I set another PR in meat consumption in one sitting. It was glorious.

I honestly was not hungry from the time we ate at 1:15/30ish until 6:00 this evening. And after a workout like today's, that's just crazy talk.

Maybe that's why I wasn't feeling inspired to make supper. 





-------------------------------------------------------------------



After taking stock of what was in the fridge (very little) and what was in the pantry (also very little), I decided upon something with eggs, turkey burger, and hopefully a can of chilpotle sauce. I scoured Pinterest for a bit, looked at my food inspiration boards, stopped by PaleOMG, one of my favorite Paleo/CrossFit food bloggers, and still had nothing.

That's a lie, actually. I wanted to do something like this yummy-looking breakfast scramble from PaleOMG. But I ventured out on my own...

... and created my very own recipe for spicy dog food!

Kidding.

But even though it was quite tasty, it still looks like dog food.

Don't say I didn't warn you.






-------------------------------------------------------------------



First off, I sauteed a bit of garlic with some coconut oil.


And then I added some turkey burger. That was boring, so no picture.


Fun fact. It's actually spelled chiLpotle rather than chipotle. I refuse to pronounce the first "l." Chih-poht-lee. It's how I roll.


Another fun fact. Notice the word "hot" on the label? Yeah, neither did I. I like things pretty much as spicy as they can get. The hubbs? Not so much. Oops. More about that later.


Yumm. Dog food. I let the sauce cook up a bit in an effort to make it less "runny." It worked.


While the turkey had been cooking, I whipped up 10 eggs and sprinkled some cumin on for good measure. Yes, 10 eggs.

I also had preheated the oven to 350*. Don't you love it when I blog the steps out of order?

Anyway, I poured the egg mixture on the meat and threw it in my preheated oven.


About this time, I started getting worried that this was going to be a complete fail. Yikes. A pound of turkey burger. 10 eggs. Yummy sauce. I probably would have seriously cried if it wouldn't have turned out. I hate wasting food.

After 17 minutes in the oven, it looked like this.


How about we zoom in?


See?! Dog food! The most unappetizing thing I've ever seen!

I could almost feel myself breaking out in a nervous sweat.

After hesitantly calling the hubbs to the table, I flipped a couple pieces upside down on plates, put on my cheery face, and took the first bite.


Success!

And then I breathed a sigh of relief.

But not for long... as it was pretty spicy. Lovely amounts of spicy. In my opinion.

After a thoughtful compliment about the flavor, the hubbs deemed it too spicy to have a second piece.

That just means more leftovers for me, right? ;)


Anyway, here's the combined ingredients and steps, if you'd like to make your own dog food
Chilpotle Turkey & Egg Bake

Ingredients:
Coconut oil
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped/minced
1# turkey burger
1 can chilpotle sauce, mild or hot
10 eggs
Cumin, to taste
Salt, to taste

Steps:
Saute garlic in coconut oil.
Set oven to 350.
Add turkey burger to pan, cook.

Add chilpotle sauce.
Let meat and sauce boil to thicken.

Combine 10 eggs with cumin.
Pour egg mixture over meat.
Cover, and put in oven.


Bake for 15-ish minutes at 350.

Let sit for 2 minutes, slice, and serve upside down.

And enjoy!




No comments:

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician, I do not have any type of medical training, and my workouts and training are only intended for my personal recollection and your curiosity. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience. All images are subject to a personal copyright unless otherwise noted and cannot be used without permission. If you read to the end of this, congratulations.