Thursday, May 31, 2012

Smoky Bacon Chili

Remember the other day how I mentioned my love affair with Juli from PaleOMG? Kidding about the love affair. Maybe kidding.

She occasionally guest-posts and makes cooking videos for a company called Again Faster. They make equipment for CrossFit, produce how-to videos, and write some really thoughtful blog posts in general. Neat site.

Anyway, I stumbled upon her Smoky Bacon Chili recipe recently and decided that was something I needed to have. Now.

I even watched the cooking video. And I rarely spend that much time pre-planning my meals.

And it is perfectly Paleo.. no beans, just meat and veggies. Plus bacon. Did I mention perfect?


I actually had bacon already cooked up, so I just threw some bacon fat in with the veggies and added in the cooked bacon later.

You will notice I only had one green pepper cut up in there. Isn't it great when you cut into a pepper and get a draft of the rancid smell? Especially when you paid good money for a red one over a green one? Sigh. I'll stop whining now.


Mm. Looking (and smelling) delicious already!


Definitely will use these again.


A little extra cayenne and paprika never hurt anyone. :)


It was so good!



So, smoky bacon chili... a la Mariah:

Ingredients:
1-lb ground grass-fed beef
6 slices of bacon, cubed
1/2 red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced (more is better, right? kidding.)
1 (14)-ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 (8)-ounce can of tomato sauce

Spices, more or less to taste:
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and/or pepper

Steps:
1. Cook the bacon in a large pot
2. While bacon is cooking, chop peppers,onion, and garlic
3. Once bacon is slightly crispy, add veggies
4. After 5-6 minutes, add ground beef and spices
5. Let the beef brown; then add tomatoes and sauce
6. Mix well, and let flavors mix together on low for 8-10 minutes
7. Taste and adjust/add spices if needed

And, as always,
8.. enjoy. :)



The flavor of the bacon mixed with everything else is simply incredible. Plus this all goes together really fast. In my mind, the sooner I get to eat, the better... Who's with me?! ;)


PS. Today I tried doing double-unders. For you non-CrossFitters, that's jumping rope but swinging the rope twice for every jump. Never mind I haven't jumped rope since I was in kindergarten. The closest I got was whipping my shin once. Ouch.

PPS. Yesterday I ran up a mountain. Kidding. Not really kidding. I did :30/:30 intervals up a mountain. I reached new heights. It was pleasant. 480 calories burned? Not bad for 30 total minutes on the treadmill, including warmup.


PPPS. In my next life, I want to be a dog. Mmkay?


PPPPS. Kidding. There's nothing else. ;)

4 comments:

Holly said...

Smokey bacon chili sounds excellent. And I'm with ya, Juli from PaleOMG is a doll!

Mariah said...

Thanks for the comment, Holly! :) Definitely try the chili, it's incredible!

Scott Jackson said...

Just made this for lunch. They always way bacon makes everything better, and I'm not about to argue.

BEST. CHILI. EVER.

Mariah said...

Yes. No offense, Mom, because your chili is amazing. But this really is the best chili ever. :)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician, I do not have any type of medical training, and my workouts and training are only intended for my personal recollection and your curiosity. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience. All images are subject to a personal copyright unless otherwise noted and cannot be used without permission. If you read to the end of this, congratulations.