Sunday, July 12, 2009

Need some advice..

So here's the deal.
I need a job. I need to be busy. I need to contribute to our income. And mostly, I need to get out of the house.

Here's the solution.
Find a job.


And here's the catch.
I've been looking around online (newspapers, craigslist, individual web sites), and there's not much out there. So as part of my curiosity, I looked up Wells Fargo and their job openings. Wouldn't you know it? 40-hr teller position opened up just days ago. Less than a mile from our plexer.

Now the part of me that doesn't like change is saying, oooo, familiarity, you've already done this. You know how they work and you might not have to go through training again since it's only been a half a year since you worked there. And then there's the part of me that says... are you kidding me?!?!? You couldn't stand the sales part of it and you whined every day you had to work.

Now, on the other hand, I could work for another bank... one that might not expect so much of their employees and pay them so little... BUT....

Is it horrible for me to have wasted all my time, money, and energy into photography school (including having my husband move to a wretched area, meaning floods and tornadoes) and dump that all down the drain and not get into photography right away?

Or is it not wasted and simply just put on hold?

I feel like I'm doing myself a disservice by settling for something less than photography. I've been told by how many people that I have more than enough talent, my resume (and contents there-in) are nearly perfect, and my portfolio is not only award-winning, but stunning! (Okay, sorry, little confidence-builder there.)

I'm also a teensy bit worried that if I don't get into photography right away, that I'll never make the jump. And that would just sour my mood for the rest of my life.

So, a little help here, please. What should I do?

Now, you can ponder in frustration, and I'll go unload on the piano.

10 comments:

Erica said...

Do the bank. Still do photography on the side till you have a few steady customers. Then quite the bank and do photography full time on your on terms.

ShareandRemember said...

I know how you feel. I'm doing child care right now instead of interior design. Well, I did work in the field for a while & it was good, not entirely what I evisioned, but in the field. When it comes right down to it, you still have your photography. You have the education, experience & talent. It's not wasted if you can't go into the field at the moment. This is real life, the part where you have to have an income & do the adult thing which really stinks. I would take the job, whatever will work for now, and continue to look. The economy & job situation isn't good in our town & probably your area either so think of it as a temporary solution. Maybe find PT work on the side with photography? Having your own business is major amount of work I'm sure but I bet you could. Good luck!

Jeff & Aleigh said...

I think you should do the bank and look at doing Photography on the side (nights, weekends, etc...) You WILL make it work if it's what you really want. I'd apply for the bank job though so you can have some income in the meantime (and not drive yourself crazy)!!! :)

Jake's family said...

I agree with the others.... take the bank job, it will lower your stress level and bring in some moolah- and then do photography on the side until you build up enough to have your own business- you'd be great at it! You aren't wasting your education- just putting it on hold, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Happy days! :)
Jill (Klepzig) Fox

Lindsay said...

i have to say, i'd go with the bank, for now. yes, you can definitley do photography on the side... maybe advertise THAT on cl, do some freelance work for yourself. i did a senior shoot last fall, didn't pay much at all, but it was fun. plus, it would give you a chance to build more for your portfolio without having to waste time and energy and still be out a job. sometimes ya gotta settle for something you don't really like until the opportunity of a lifetime comes along... :)

Mariah said...

Thanks all.. :)

I think I will go ahead with a bank or something (maybe a health food store?) and wait until my perfect opportunity comes along.

It's just a little disappointing, as it seems like I've already had 2 amazing opportunities that just up and died on me.

Ah well. I'm still young. I can always relearn everything I forget if that happens. :)

Once again, thanks for being my sounding board. :)

Snigglefrits said...

Sounds like you've made a good decision, Mariah. I've always found the most perfect jobs come along after finding an okay job, so maybe that will happen to you as well!

Whatever happens, best of luck & remember- no knowledge gained is a waste, even if you don't immediately put it to use.

And totally unrelated- would you mind if I added your blog to my blogroll?

Mariah said...

Snigs... I'd be honored. :)

I enjoy yours a lot! The funny part is, my mom has worked in a dental office on and off her whole life... now she's a receptionist that fills in as an assistant, so I love telling and forwarding on your stories to her. :)

Cheri said...

I'd say...go with the job and build your own photography biz on the side! Maybe advertise on craigslist to get some shoots lined up and build your reputation/client base? Check out http://www.sackettphotography.com/, she's from Jesup, graduated from hawkeye and is in business for herself! I'd love to get into doing photography...but not having an education holds me back....the whole not knowing what I don't know thing. You've got it all..so go for it on your own!

Anonymous said...

I think you'll feel better about everything if you take a job for now. It won't be a career that will consume you. You can keep looking for something in photography (& take photography work on the side)without the stress of no income. And you never know who you'll meet at the bank! B & I work in great jobs we enjoy though they aren't what we planned to do. :) You never know where this will take you!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician, I do not have any type of medical training, and my workouts and training are only intended for my personal recollection and your curiosity. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience. All images are subject to a personal copyright unless otherwise noted and cannot be used without permission. If you read to the end of this, congratulations.