Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Stir fry, updated

Hello, summer!

75*, breezy.. ahh. Beautiful.

Since today was declared a "rest day" from the gym for me (don't get me started...), I made full use of my extra time and the nice weather. Turbs and I went for a walk, met the neighbors after lunch, and just plain sat outside this afternoon. Mmm.


Now, being the pessimist realist that I am, I'm sure summer isn't here to stay. However, it sure hit the spot today!

Anyway...
I thought I would update my post about the homemade HuHot. (Click here for original post.)

I tried a new meat for the stirfry.... chuck roast, which I sliced up. I like the chuck roast because it's super fatty (hello, flavor!) and a bit cheaper. In fact, in the past, I've also used the eye of the chuck roast, which is even cheaper because its considered a lesser quality cut. It works great for this, that's for sure!

Also, I swapped out lemon juice and a squirt or two of plain stevia for the orange juice. Sugar removal, check! Hubby not noticing the difference, check!

In addition to the liquid aminos, I've also started adding "fish sauce" to the marinade. I happened to be waiting at the health food store for them to ring up my order and snagged a bottle of this after reading the description on the back. Apparently it's made from wild black anchovy and sea salt. And it spices up all your Asian-flavored cuisine. And it's ah-mazing. No lie. Here's their website: http://redboatfishsauce.com/

Then, I've started marinating the meat for the entire afternoon, which, oh. my. word. is delicious. Definitely recommend doing that.

And of course, I took new pics. :P


Red Boat Fish sauce. Five stars. And yes, I did just run upstairs and take a picture of it in my fridge. You guessed right. And no, they don't endorse me. Or know who I am.

Chuck roast = fatty goodness. Red meat makes me strong. No lie.

There are many great articles I've read recently disproving that "study" where they "found" that red meat kills you. Sigh. Whatever. These are the same people that tell you to eat grains and take cholesterol meds. And we blindly trust them.

If you're going to only read one, read this one. :) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/will-eating-red-meat-kill-you/#axzz1pDdPGVvc


Ahh, fried veggies. My life is now complete that I've discovered fried sliced cabbage. Complete.

Note to self, don't cut the onions like this. And stick with red onions.


I like to leave it just a tad pink.

I know, I know. I'll probably die because of it.

I'll also hit a new PR on an Olympic lift because of it too. And I'm okay with that. :P


Rice noodles for the hubby...


Ready?


It's go time!


Oh man. This makes me hungry.

So, updated recipe for
Homemade HuHot:

Marinade:
1/4 cup Braggs liquid aminos
1/4 cup Red Boat fish sauce
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
Stevia, a few squirts
2 TB almond oil
Red pepper seasoning

Combine with "thinly-sliced" 2-pound chuck roast. Marinate in the fridge for 3-4 hours.

Saute veggies. I used a couple dashes of the aminos, fish sauce, and coconut oil.
Saute meat until a bit of pink is left.
Saute cooked noodles.

Devour.

No comments:

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician, I do not have any type of medical training, and my workouts and training are only intended for my personal recollection and your curiosity. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience. All images are subject to a personal copyright unless otherwise noted and cannot be used without permission. If you read to the end of this, congratulations.